Blog Feed

Preparing the Garden for a Storm

Bracing for Hurricane Barry

This is the first post on my new blog. I’m just getting my garden ready for Hurricane Barry. I didn’t do anything that looked fancy but more like frantic from the looks of this picture. I managed to use wooden stakes and ropes to support some of my sunflowers. The one sunflower I did not support is already toast and this is just the day before! I turned a lot of pots over on their sides to avoid excessive damage to my plants and put some of the more delicate plants like the Japanese Morning Glories in the shed. I placed covers over some of my seedlings so they wouldn’t get damaged or washed out by the rain.

In spite of being in a humid shed the Hannahubuki bloomed beautifully today with a small flush of first blooms. I have more of a variety of different kinds of Japanese Morning Glories to share later on.

Japanese Morning Glory Hannahubuki close up
Japanese Morning Glory Hannahubuki

July 6 2019 Todays blooms and gardening projects going on

     I finally got some daylily pods to plant during the last few weeks. The seeds I have planted took about 14 days to sprout. I was a little worried at first but noticed the tiny green grass like sprouts and decided it was OK to plant right out of the pods. These seedlings are from the Red Little Business.

Daylily Sprouts
Giant Banana tree bloom close up

Giant Banana Tree Blooms

Morning Glory white ipomoea purpurea

Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit

Brand new purchase of Cheyenne Spirit Echinacea

     I plan on experimenting with seeds this fall. Stay tuned later on around late August or September to see how that goes. When the seedheads are dry and ready to harvest I will plant the seeds in a container then probably give them a light mulch and hope for blooms the next summer. I will update from time to time as things progress. It will be neat to see if there are any variations found when growing these from seeds.

Japanese Morning Glories

It has been really hot and dry so a considerable amount of my time has been spent watering. This week I planted some Japanese Morning glory large flower crosses,mutants,dwarf and some labeled Shiborizaki. Those will be updated in about 6 weeks but if you want to see my past growing projects visit the archived website Japanese Morning Glory DatabaseI also planted out a lot of canna lily seedlings which will be updated in the fall. It takes about 3-4 months for a canna seedling to grow and bloom from a seed.

This morning I had more ripening thornless blackberries.
Lovely pink morning glory with a white center.
This morning our light pink Amaryllis was blooming
This is one of F1 Raspberry Truffle canna seedling cross that I am gathering and growing F2 seeds to see what happens. The heavy torrential rainstorms we get sometimes make the blooms fall over. I am sure the seedlings will not disappoint me. Stay tuned for updates.
This morning we had some zinnias blooming.
We are finally getting watermelons!
Welcome daylily newcomers! So far I have 2 near white and a pretty dark red one.

Canna Lily and Daylily crosses

     After losing my hole puncher for the third time I went and bought me a little kit that actually is a sewing/craft box for $ 2.98 to put my scissors, yarn, plant tags, hole puncher (when I relocate it) and perhaps frozen pollen. I found some little stackable containers with screw on lids that seemed perfect for storing the pollen in the sewing section at Wal Mart for 99 cents for a pack of 6. I prefer a soft flexible yarn to tie the pods because it separates into small strands and is easy for me to work with.

     This morning I was able to take a couple of frozen daylily pollen anthers out and let it defrost in a cool dry area before taking it outside. I like to plan the crosses after looking over what is blooming next to what pollen I have available. Then I make my tags and attach the yarn. If I have a lot of blooms and I want to use one kind of pollen to increase my chances of getting pods I will assign a yarn color to one pollen parent and simply spread the pollen and tie the blooms with no tag. I will place the labels for pollen and pod parents when I gather the pods. Today I used Tuscawilla Snowdrift pollen on many of my Red Ribs seedlings just to see what would happen.

      I have some pods forming from Red Little Business,Tuscawilla Snowdrift,Red Ribs and Red ribs seedlings.  I also crossed Raspberry Truffle Canna Lily with what I purchased as Red King Humbert. Here are pictures of some of the Canna Lily parents.

This is a green with red tips seedling from Raspberry Truffle. 
Canna Lily Mai Ping Green Seedling
Container garden with canna lilies and caladiums
Raspberry Truffle
     This red canna lily that is supposed to be Red King Humbert is apparently Red Futurity. It is lovely with a bright red color so definitely still a keeper.